St Andrews Church sits proudly on an elevated site in the
village. Its fabric has obviously had many repairs over the years,
including a major Victorian restoration. The chancel still shows
external features of the 14C with an interesting variation of cusped
intersecting tracery with nearly flat arches above its windows either
side of the priest's door. To the west there is also a smaller "low-side
window" with an ogee arch sometimes referred to as "leper windows".
From a lithograph of the 1820s, it is apparent that the nave roof was
raised again in Victorian times, when the large perpendicular windows
were also restored and new buttresses with bands of carstone were added.
On the north side in 1864 an entirely new aisle was added with
its own gabled roof. At each end of the roof valley are enormous
grotesque gargoyles for drainage of the central gutter. At the east end
of the aisle there is accommodation for the organ and a vestry, with a
The tower, with its simple Y tracery to the
belfry openings, dating probably to the late 13C/earlyl4C, has been much
repaired in brick on the south and west faces, following a lightning
strike. The original fabric still to be seen on the north wall shows
many blocked putlog holes framed with large crude blocks of chalk. These
holes were to accommodate the horizontal poles of the scaffolding when
the wall was built. The tower is topped with a short spire and weather
cock above an X, the symbol of St Andrew. There is one bell, made by
Edward Tooke in 1676.
The south porch has been much rebuilt and now
has a modern Good Shepherd statue in the niche above the entrance with
the legend "I am the door". The doorway into the church has many orders
of moulding from the 14C.
Inside the church the north aisle is divided from the
nave by a circular pier and a quatrefoil pier. At the east end of this
aisle is a more elaborate Victorian arch leading to the vestry and organ
The tall tower arch gives a glimpse of the
west window which was part of the repair work done on the tower. Nearby
is the absolutely plain ancient octagonal font set on a new stem,
and having a flat modern cover.
At the west end of the north aisle is a large
striking modern painting representing man's scientific achievements and
the social evils in the world, painted by Mr Roy Tuck, who taught art in
Hunstanton. At the centre is the Cross, man's only hope of salvation.
The 14C chancel arch has finely carved
capitals; to the north is foliage and on the south side a pattern of
vines. There are also head stops either side of the arch, with a
particularly fine bearded head to the north.
In the south-east nave is a massive stone Victorian
pulpit, embellished with inserts of coloured marble. Hidden
behind the pulpit are signs that a side altar was placed here in earlier
times. There is a vaulted niche facing west and on the south wall a
The chancel east window has Victorian tracery set in
its original frame. The south east window glass, designed by
Frederick Preedy as a memorial of the Rectors of both churches ( St
Peters now no longer except for the remains of itís round tower in the
grounds of the bury a former rectory) from 1333 - 1862, shows St Peter
holding a round tower church and St Andrew holding a representation of
this church. Below are scenes depicting "Feed my sheep" and "He brought
him to Jesus". The low side window shows St Augustine.
The Victorian marble reredos behind the altar
has roundels of the symbols of the four Evangelists, a lion (St Mark), a
bull (St Luke), an angel (St Matthew) and an eagle (St John), flanking
the central symbol of the Agnus Dei, representing the Risen Lord.
From the 14C remains the fine angle piscina, with its
two openings surmounted by ogee arches and finials. The ends of the
outer arches have carved heads, the one nearest the window being a
bishop's with a mitre, and between the two arches is a lion's head. The
shallow four-petal basin is surrounded by a zig-zag pattern. There is a
dropped sill sedilia.
There are fine ledger slabs in the chancel,
predominantly for the Fysh family. Their arms of three interlaced pike
are shown in varying forms, one with the fish baring fearsome teeth! The
memorial high on the north wall of the tower also recalls members of the
In the centre of the chancel is a Norwich made brass
depicting Richard Kegell, Rector here for 17 years, who died in 1482. He
is portrayed in Eucharistic vestments and his Latin inscription says he
re-roofed the chancel.
Above these memorials are coloured shields,
representing all the parties concerned with the 1864 restoration, on the
wall posts supporting the roof: St Andrew - a cross saltire, John
Pelham, Bishop of Norwich -3 pelicans, William Hussey, Rector in 1864 -
cross, Hamon le Strange, Lord and Patron - 2 lions passant, Norwich
Diocese - 3 mitres, St Peter -2 keys.